Screen icon, legend, muse to Jean Luc Godard, and the darling of the Cahiers Du Cinema, Anna Karina endures. Now a sprightly, still feisty seventy five, her story of being discovered at seventeen, and poster girl for the avant garde, is well known by film aficionados worldwide.
She’s also a style icon, as subsequent generations of women, from Alexa Chung to Charlotte Gainsbourg have emulated her classic look.
Yada,yada. Here are some tips to make yourself more like Karina. It’s not hugely practical.
- Skip a lot. In public. The general consensus will be you are carefree, a gamine and spirited / a bit of a twat. (Delete where applicable).
- Always post black and white images of yourself on Instagram. YOU are the colour.
- Sleep with an auteur.
- Smoke constantly, particularly when arriving an hour late to meet friends.
- Widen your eyes at every available opportunity.It doesn’t look deranged. You’re a guileless ingenue, dammit.
- Wear plaid knee-length skirts without a pinch of irony.
- Always be disaffected. You’re not a living, breathing woman, you are but a shrug. You’re the equivalent of the French term ‘bof’ (effectively, ‘meh’)
- Make endless grand pronouncements on the ultimate futility of existence. Roll your eyes, as you pout: ”Love is a stupid game”; ”Everything is, after all, hurtling towards the void”, ”Ennui was the only subject in which I excelled at school”, and, ”Negate all of your previous statements”.
- Dance like everybody’s watching, preferably in a cafe in a fashionable part of town, flanked by two men for that tres Gallic frisson to make people wonder if you’re fucking one, or both, men.
- Smile like a cat with a secret.
- Don’t eat much food- merely nibble bits of things suggestively (when hungry, smoke instead- see ”smoke constantly”).
- Stage small acts of civil disobedience, eg. sing La Marseillaise in churches in a stentorian voice, steal some fruit, kiss policemen full on the lips. It’s okay- it’s French!